We are gearing up for engagement season over here at the Kreider’s. Our weddings don’t start until a little later this year, which means we don’t need to start shooting engagements until April/May! Mike and I are SO excited for the warm weather to stick around, anyone else?! I can’t wait to see all the blooms on the trees and for sunny warm days. Spring is so close I can feel it… we just need to get past the snow they are calling for this weekend!
As the warm weather nears, and engagement sessions will soon be in full swing, I thought today would be a great day to share some of our tips and tricks for a great engagement session. We always make sure our couples have this information before their engagement sessions but we wanted to share this information to help other brides out there that may be stumped or even help other photographers with how to prep their own couples before an engagement session. One of the best tips I can give any bride regarding photography is to do an engagement session with the SAME photographer who will be photographing your wedding. This makes ALL the difference when it comes to your photos and is why all of our packages include a complimentary engagement session. Seriously, don’t skimp on this aspect of your wedding!
I’ll stop lecturing you and move on to what you’re actually here to read :) Our tips for a great engagement session! Enjoy!
– The best times of day to get your engagement photos done are sunrise or sunset. You either want to start right at sunrise and shoot for about 1.5-2 hours, or you can start 2 hours before sunset and shoot until the light is gone. We shoot all of our engagements during these times of the day!
– We recommend two locations max. Any more than this and we end up spending most of the session traveling. We highly suggest picking a location that has several areas inside of it that can be used. This way it doesn’t look like we stayed in the same location yet there is very little travel time.
– Be you. Choose clothing and accessories that represent your style and that you feel great in.
– Be comfortable. Select clothing that fits well and that compliments your figure. And ladies, if your top is super low cut, that will limit the amount of angles we can shoot from… just fyi :)
– Brides… consider having your hair and makeup done for your session. Having a professional hair and/or makeup stylist prep you for your session will help to add a little glamour to your photos even if you’ve selected casual apparel for your session.
– BE ON TIME! The sun is only out for so long ! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! And nobody wants that!
– Try to avoid being “matchy matchy”. If everyone wore the same color for the shoot, it would be so boring! Instead, try to coordinate your outfit selections.
– Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your outfits your own. Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are always welcomed. Layers and texture translate great on camera! So don’t be afraid to layer jewelry, scarves, sweaters, jackets or any combination in order to create depth in your outfits.
– Don’t be afraid to bring two different outfits. Most couples bring one casual outfit and one formal one! This will give your shoot two totally different “looks”. We recommend beginning with the dressy outfit first. Just remember to select outfits that compliment each other in color, style and level of formality.
– Empty your pockets! Literally, You don’t want to have key chains showing through your pockets (This is mostly for the guys!)
– Clean the ring! We love to shoot a few ring shots while you change outfits. The cleaner the better!
– MOST patterns are actually ok…however try to avoid clothing with logos… otherwise you run the risk of looking like an ad for your favorite retailer.
– Don’t Stress!! Engagement photos should be fun… and they will be if you let yourself enjoy the experience! You don’t have to be a pro at this! We’re going to help you along the way. You might even consider having a date night after your session so you can enjoy an evening together celebrating your engagement!